Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Sunday, August 1, 2010

QT 30 Jul 10

2 Cor 1:8-11 (NIV) We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about the hardships we suffered in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired even of life. 9 Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead. 10 He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us. On him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us, 11 as you help us by your prayers. Then many will give thanks on our behalf for the gracious favor granted us in answer to the prayers of many.

NOTE: Paul sees a need to explain how hard his life has been, to the point of despairing of life. He is telling the Corinthians, his children in Christ, that his life has not been easy either. And his hard times have taught him a lot as well, they have taught him of his need to rely on God and not on himself. Funny, that lesson seems to always involve hard times. Why is it that we can't learn to rely on God another way? It is so natural to rely on self, I suppose it is part of the curse -- we want to be self-sufficient. We don't want to depend on someone outside of our self. Father, forgive me for my independence and self-sufficiency. Open my eyes, I want to see you more clearly in my everyday life.

No comments:

Post a Comment