Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

QT 1 Jun 11

Jer 1:7-8 (NIV) But the Lord said to me, "Do not say, 'I am only a child.' You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. 8 Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the Lord.

NOTE: There is certainly an argument regarding the need for experience in most jobs.  And I would venture to say that spiritual jobs are no different.  Unless of course, God tells you otherwise, because God's command trumps convention.  In Jeremiah's case, God chooses a young man to take a message to a disobedient people.  The qualifications are fairly simple -- repeat what I say.  The working conditions are not so simple, and being afraid will be a natural condition, else God would not warn him not to be afraid.  Finally, Jeremiah will have tremendous management support.  God promises to be with him and to rescue him.  Which doesn't say nothing will happen, only that God will rescue him (when something does happen).  It is an interesting job.  There is no mention of pay or whether a second job will be required.   But the employer has promised to provide.  Also, at this point I can't remember whether there will be time to take a wife and have children.  The job will last, in Judah, for 45 years, after which the people are deported to Babylon.  Of course, while God knows that, I suppose it isn't a given, since the people could repent, but they won't repent, which must make the job especially difficult, to pour out your heart for something that no one will pay attention to.

It is not the results that matter in our life, but our obedience to what God has called us to do.  We could spend a lifetime with no immediate return, but if we have been obedient to God, he will be pleased.  Father, I want to serve you.  I want to see results, but I want to please you first.

No comments:

Post a Comment