Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, September 17, 2012

QT 17 Sep 12, Truly the only way to come to Jesus is one-on-one and alone


John 10:34-39 (NIV) Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your Law, 'I have said you are gods'?  35 If he called them 'gods,' to whom the word of God came — and the Scripture cannot be broken— 36 what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, 'I am God's Son'? 37 Do not believe me unless I do what my Father does. 38 But if I do it, even though you do not believe me, believe the miracles, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father."  39 Again they tried to seize him, but he escaped their grasp.

NOTE: Verse 34 can actually be interpreted "judges" or "God" and verse 35 references the special commission given to the judges of Israel, that in their sentences they are representing God, for only God can truly judge. Jesus' argument seems to be that if God allowed the title to be used for certain men, why do they judge him for using the title as well? But of course, Jesus' use of the term here puts himself on equal footing with the Father, and not only that, he claims the miracles as proof of his position. Israel's judges were appointed among men without any special power. Jesus claims to have come directly from God and can use that term because of his power and special relationship to the Father.

There is no argument to justify calling oneself God's son outside of truth. The statement is true or it is blasphemy. And because the leaders assume blasphemy, they immediately tried to seize him, but once more he escapes the grasp of the leaders. Even with the miracles, it would have been hard to believe that God's actual son was on earth, or that God had a son, or that humanity could hold him in a body. But the miracles are so amazing and they are so good to people (which contradicts the argument of Satan's power). No, this is an amazing conundrum. If only they would have done what Nicodemus did, swallowed their pride and met and talked with Jesus at a personal level. I think Nicodemus' one-on-one meeting was about the only thing that could have worked, for if he had met in a group, he might have been tempted to put up a façade or to act for the crowd, but Nicodemus met him where nothing could interfere, one-on-one in quiet. Ultimately, that is the only way anyone of us can meet Jesus, one-on-one and alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment