Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, November 12, 2012

QT 12 Nov 12, Sometimes we need to take less time seeking direction and more time acting


Judges 6:33-40 (NIV) Now all the Midianites, Amalekites and other eastern peoples joined forces and crossed over the Jordan and camped in the Valley of Jezreel. 34 Then the Spirit of the Lord came upon Gideon, and he blew a trumpet, summoning the Abiezrites to follow him. 35 He sent messengers throughout Manasseh, calling them to arms, and also into Asher, Zebulun and Naphtali, so that they too went up to meet them.

36 Gideon said to God, "If you will save Israel by my hand as you have promised— 37 look, I will place a wool fleece on the threshing floor. If there is dew only on the fleece and all the ground is dry, then I will know that you will save Israel by my hand, as you said." 38 And that is what happened. Gideon rose early the next day; he squeezed the fleece and wrung out the dew — a bowlful of water. 

39 Then Gideon said to God, "Do not be angry with me. Let me make just one more request. Allow me one more test with the fleece. This time make the fleece dry and the ground covered with dew." 40 That night God did so. Only the fleece was dry; all the ground was covered with dew.

NOTE: The Spirit of the Lord comes upon Gideon which stirs him to call up the Israelites for battle. But the filling of the Holy Spirit does not prevent him from doubting, and there is no indication that the Spirit left him. So after striking out bravely in the Spirit's power, Gideon tests God twice for assurance that it really is God and that God has the power to do the impossible. The problem with Gideon's testing of God is that God adds in a completely different test. Gideon twice puts a fleece down with different conditions, and God, twice, will whittle down Gideon's army. After the two fleece-tests, Gideon is ready to go. After the two whittle-down tests, God is ready to work. Again I have to wonder, if Gideon had not tested God (which is wrong) would God have tested Gideon? I don't know, but it does make one wonder. Gideon is the one whose first comment to God was, "where is the God of wonders our Fathers told us about." Well, God is there with Gideon and about to do a wonder again.

Gideon is both a story about faith and non-faith. God does not get angry at his questions, tests, or even lack of faith. Although, there are stories where a lack of faith does anger God. Maybe the application is that we take too long to act in an area where God has revealed his will. Certainly, there is a need for confirmation and we don't want to act on an "emotional" event. But maybe we take too long to move out. I can think of a few things that I've felt I've needed to do but have failed to act. I suppose now is the time to act.


No comments:

Post a Comment