Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, February 23, 2015

QT 23 Feb 15, Heb 13:5, Don't live for pay raises

Heb 13:5 (ESV) Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you."

NOTE: There are a number of practical instructions in this section that also give insight into the struggle of the Hebrew believers. Apparently their new faith has resulted in closed doors for financial gain. If they go back to their Hebrew faith, potentially these doors reopen. God's response is that too much emphasis is being placed on monetary gain. The real key is not gaining more money but learning to be content with what you have. God promises to never leave us, so why do we worry about gaining more money.

I admit that I fall into this trap as well, although not because of my faith or at least I don't see my faith as an obstacle to better position and better pay. But the point remains, I need to be content with what I have. And I do have a lot. Why do I really want more? What is my purpose? Will it help me to be a better witness for Christ?


If God gives me an opportunity then so be it, but I must not worry about money. I must not let money rule my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment