Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

QT 15 Jul 15, Isa 23:7-9, God hates pride

Isa 23:7-9 (ESV)
7 Is this your exultant city
 whose origin is from days of old,
whose feet carried her
to settle far away?
8 Who has purposed this
against Tyre, the bestower of crowns,
whose merchants were princes,
whose traders were the honored of the earth?
9 The Lord of hosts has purposed it,
 to defile the pompous pride of all glory,
to dishonor all the honored of the earth.


NOTE: The question of sovereignty is really one of purpose. If it does not fit into God's purpose, he can intervene to thwart or to change. But normally, "he does not" is my contention. And it is supported by the text which says that Tyre is the bestower of crowns. And now, because of Tyre's and the world's arrogance, God is carrying away Tyre. He is tired of pompous pride and he is going to dishonor those who are honored. One of my struggles in life is pompous pride. Well, maybe not pompous, but subtle and sly pride. But it is pompous because it is obvious to me if it is not to others. I need to let God honor me in his time and way, and not seek to honor myself before others. Father, forgive me for my pride. Today I have an opportunity to choose between pompous pride or quiet humility, especially later in the day. Help me to live in humility.

No comments:

Post a Comment