Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

QT 29 Jun 16, 1 Tim 4:11-16, Spiritual gifts: it is not enough just to find them out, need to find out how to grow them

1 Tim 4:11-16 Command and teach these things. 12 Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity. 13 Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation, to teaching. 14 Do not neglect the gift you have, which was given you by prophecy when the council of elders laid their hands on you. 15 Practice these things, immerse yourself in them, so that all may see your progress. 16 Keep a close watch on yourself and on the teaching. Persist in this, for by so doing you will save both yourself and your hearers.


NOTE: Paul exhorts Timothy to "not neglect" his gift. He says "practice these things" and "immerse yourself in them" so that others see "your progress." He continues, "keep a close watch" and "persist," all of which suggests that our gifts, in this case his gift of teaching, is not static. It is something that he needs to work upon and grow deeper in, or in other words, get better at. We mistakenly assume that we just use our gift, but Paul is saying that we are to grow our gift. It is not enough to just discover our gift, the next step is to use our gift and to grow our gift. For myself, my gift of teaching is enhanced through bible study. As I teach certain sections of scripture, my knowledge of other sections, helps me to present a well-rounded explanation of truth, that ties all of scripture together. For myself, teaching enhances my teaching, because it forces me to study more scripture. So, in my case, use begets growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment