Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

QT 15 Feb 17, Ruth 1:16-18, The effect of Naomi's faith

Ruth 1:16–18 (ESV) —
16 But Ruth said, “Do not urge me to leave you or to return from following you. For where you go I will go, and where you lodge I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God my God. 17 Where you die I will die, and there will I be buried. May the Lord do so to me and more also if anything but death parts me from you.” 18 And when Naomi saw that she was determined to go with her, she said no more.

NOTE: This is Ruth's classic confession of faith. It is both a commitment to Naomi, and a commitment to God. I'm convinced that Ruth made her original confession of faith before she married. She renews her faith statement here. And it is much more than a commitment, it is a surrender. She is surrendering to God--she will die before she will change her oath. God now owns her life completely. She is not trying to be a believer, she is a believer who has surrendered everything (her home, her people, her nation, her friends) to follow Naomi to the land of promise. Elimelech probably should have never left the land, but Naomi did the right thing by supporting her husband. Naomi suffered greatly for Elimelech's lack of faith, but she walks out with spiritual fruit, a daughter surrendered in faith to God. Little does she realize how her sad story would form the backdrop for Israel's greatest human king, David. That story will unfold well after her death, but her faith was key in establishing the dominoes that would soon fall. Sometimes the story of our life is not finished being written until well after our earthly life ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment