Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, October 7, 2026

QT 10/7/2026 Eph 6:21-24, God's word is for our good

Ephesians 6:21–24 (ESV) —

21 So that you also may know how I am and what I am doing, Tychicus the beloved brother and faithful minister in the Lord will tell you everything. 22 I have sent him to you for this very purpose, that you may know how we are, and that he may encourage your hearts.

23 Peace be to the brothers, and love with faith, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. 24 Grace be with all who love our Lord Jesus Christ with love incorruptible.

 

NOTE: Paul could have written how he and his companions ('we') were doing. Instead, he give Tychicus that responsibility. I don't think Paul saw himself as a person writing what would become much of the New Testament. But God knew how he was going to use these writings. While some books do carry a lot of detail (such as the end of Romans), everything is as it is for a purpose. The focus of Ephesians is the body of Christ and transformation by putting on and putting off. Too much additional information would have taken away from the main points.

 

It appears that Tychicus was given the same responsibility to the Colossian church (relating how Paul was doing). There are a lot of similarities in the two letters, and yet they are unique to the particular issues of the church. Together, Paul's letters map out the theology of the Christian faith. Yes, it is Jewish in its foundation, but it removes the barrier, the law, that was intended to show the Jewish people their need for a savior. Paul's letters help Gentiles to understand how the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob pursued Gentiles and saved them.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I know the scriptures, really know the scriptures? They are the key to walking with God

 

PRAYER: Father, thank you for the New Testament writers. Thank you for how you put together a completely coherent picture of faith and salvation. I pray we would be faithful to dig in your word every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment