Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, September 15, 2011

QT 15 Sep 11, Legalism is a great danger to trust


Rom 4:13-14 (Complete Jewish Bible) For the promise to Avraham and his seed that he would inherit the world did not come through legalism but through the righteousness that trust produces. 14 For if the heirs are produced by legalism, then trust is pointless and the promise worthless.

NOTE: I like the way CJB translates theses verses.  The issue is legalism toward the OT law and it is contrary to trust.  In my opinion, it is not possible to live by faith (trust) and also live legalistically to the OT law.  I grant that a believer who is legalistic to the OT law may argue that his salvation is not dependent on the law, but that he proves his devotion to God by keeping the OT law.  There is a certain truth in that statement, since John 14:21 says something similar.  But how does one know that keeping the entire OT law is correct? And if you do not keep the entire law (which most adherents of that view don’t), why do you keep any of it?  If one can pick and choose how he shows his love for God, why can't he choose none of it (the OT law)?  But you might reply, what of the moral laws (although the OT Law makes not distinction itself)?  And I would agree, because Jesus himself taught those laws and they are what we count as the law of Christ (Gal 6:2) and the law of the spirit of life (Rom 8:2).  And so my focus is on what the NT teaches as law,  not what the OT says.  The OT provides principles and lessons to teach us (Rom 15:4).  But am I not under the burden of the OT law, I have taken on a lighter burden (Matt 11:28-30) of Jesus' commands, for his yoke is easy and his burden is light.

No comments:

Post a Comment