Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, December 26, 2011

QT 26 Dec 11, Jesus is a sufficient sacrifice


Num 8:15-19 (NIV) "After you have purified the Levites and presented them as a wave offering, they are to come to do their work at the Tent of Meeting. 16 They are the Israelites who are to be given wholly to me. I have taken them as my own in place of the firstborn, the first male offspring from every Israelite woman. 17 Every firstborn male in Israel, whether man or animal, is mine. When I struck down all the firstborn in Egypt, I set them apart for myself. 18 And I have taken the Levites in place of all the firstborn sons in Israel. 19 Of all the Israelites, I have given the Levites as gifts to Aaron and his sons to do the work at the Tent of Meeting on behalf of the Israelites and to make atonement for them so that no plague will strike the Israelites when they go near the sanctuary."

NOTE: In the OT, many of the lessons show a price paid.  In fact, most of the law requires a price to be paid.  Very little is free, although at times, the price is changed according to the income of the worshipper (such as the two doves used in dedication).  At first the NT would seem to contrast itself from the OT in this regard, but in reality it does not.  The difference is that in the NT, a price was paid, but this time God himself paid the price, making the results free to the worshipper.  Jesus' death on the cross satisfied all the offering requirements and was a "once for all" action, because it was a sufficient action.  All the offerings of the NT were not sufficient.  Their effect was temporary and had to be repeated time and again.  Because Jesus is God, his sacrifice was eternal and will never be repeated.  This is another reason to rejoice on this the day that we celebrate his birth into our world of flesh and blood -- his sacrifice was sufficient to completely pay for my sins and for every offering or sacrifice required of God for service to him.  Jesus is all sufficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment