Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Saturday, December 3, 2011

QT 3 Dec 2011, Ministry is not for our pleasure


Num 4:15 (NIV) "After Aaron and his sons have finished covering the holy furnishings and all the holy articles, and when the camp is ready to move, the Kohathites are to come to do the carrying. But they must not touch the holy things or they will die. The Kohathites are to carry those things that are in the Tent of Meeting.

NOTE: This is a very unique ministry, as are some of the other ones listed in Numbers 4.  The Gershonites and the Merarites also had carry duties which required them to be 30 years old.  What I find interesting about all these jobs, especially the choosing of the Levites for God's work and Aaron's sons as priests, is that nobody chose their occupation.  We make such a big deal about finding our gifts or our calling.  But these men were chosen by parentage.  This was their job (or at least ministry), whether or not they had an interest in it.  Many had other occupations as well outside of these tasks but at least from a ministry perspective, this is what they were told to do.  I wonder if we make too much of an issue of feeling fulfilled when involved in ministry.  Maybe we need to have more of the attitude of a servant.  It is not for my pleasure that I serve but it is for the pleasure of the one I serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment