Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

QT 15 May 11, The people failed to read the signs because they were looking for the wrong thing


John 1:21-31 (NIV) They asked him, "Then who are you? Are you Elijah?"

He said, "I am not."

"Are you the Prophet?"

He answered, "No."

22 Finally they said, "Who are you? Give us an answer to take back to those who sent us. What do you say about yourself?"

23 John replied in the words of Isaiah the prophet, "I am the voice of one calling in the desert, 'Make straight the way for the Lord.'"

24 Now some Pharisees who had been sent 25 questioned him, "Why then do you baptize if you are not the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet?"

26 "I baptize with water," John replied, "but among you stands one you do not know. 27 He is the one who comes after me, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie."

28 This all happened at Bethany on the other side of the Jordan, where John was baptizing.

29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! 30 This is the one I meant when I said, 'A man who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.' 31 I myself did not know him, but the reason I came baptizing with water was that he might be revealed to Israel."

NOTE: The Pharisees and leaders were very specific in their questions. They were looking for the Messiah, but they were looking for the Messiah of the second coming without knowing it. They did not distinguish between two times. They did postulate two Messiahs, a ben Yosef and a ben David, but their questions refer to the Messiah who would set up his kingdom on earth. John correctly answers the questions. Jesus would later say that John came in the spirit and power of Elijah, and one must wonder if Elijah's coming is still to occur prior to the second coming. John then goes on to call Jesus, "the Lamb of God," who would take away the sin of the world. This statement clearly identifies Jesus with the Isaiah 53 suffering servant, also referred to as ben Yosef, and not the conquering king that the leaders were looking. The conquering king Messiah is still to come. It will be Jesus and he will set up his kingdom on earth at that time. It will all happen just as it is prophesied. Jesus' initial appearance was also prophesied and fulfilled with amazing perfection, so too will the second coming be fulfilled. Therefore, let us lives worthy of our coming Lord so that we can serve in his Kingdom in that coming day.

No comments:

Post a Comment