Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

QT 26 Jun 12, The claims of Christ are undeniable; men refuse only because they do not want to submit to God


John 5:31-40 (NIV) "If I testify about myself, my testimony is not valid. 32 There is another who testifies in my favor, and I know that his testimony about me is valid.

33 "You have sent to John and he has testified to the truth. 34 Not that I accept human testimony; but I mention it that you may be saved. 35 John was a lamp that burned and gave light, and you chose for a time to enjoy his light.

36 "I have testimony weightier than that of John. For the very work that the Father has given me to finish, and which I am doing, testifies that the Father has sent me. 37 And the Father who sent me has himself testified concerning me. You have never heard his voice nor seen his form, 38 nor does his word dwell in you, for you do not believe the one he sent. 39 You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, 40 yet you refuse to come to me to have life.

NOTE: As I understand it, a person cannot testify to himself, which is why Jesus says his testimony is not valid. He offers up John as a human testimony, but argues there is better testimony still. He then argues that his work, the miracles are a very strong testimony to his claims. God the Father, who spoke out of the clouds during his baptism, is one who does not require another testimony (the Holy Spirit descends as a second God-witness during the same event). It is the Father himself whose works he does and would not be able to do if his testimony was not valid. This is the heart of the Jewish leader's problem. How can a man do what Jesus did and appear to blasphemy as well? In the end (Matt 12), they will give credit to Satan and his power, which violates the purpose of nearly all the works Jesus did, since they were done for good and not evil. Jesus also points to the scripture as another argument for the truth of his claims. He fulfilled multiple prophecies in a manner that is far beyond chance. In the end, all of these testimonies make Jesus' claim valid, but still, men refuse to come to Jesus for life. The issue is not the evidence but their unwillingness to repent of their sin and rebellion. Atheism has always been about a hatred of moral rules and less about a philosophical position that makes sense. People want to sin, and so they believe what allows them to sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment