Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

QT 27 Jun 12, Beware the outwardly religious


John 5:41-47 (NIV) "I do not accept praise from men, 42 but I know you. I know that you do not have the love of God in your hearts. 43 I have come in my Father's name, and you do not accept me; but if someone else comes in his own name, you will accept him. 44 How can you believe if you accept praise from one another, yet make no effort to obtain the praise that comes from the only God?

45 "But do not think I will accuse you before the Father. Your accuser is Moses, on whom your hopes are set. 46 If you believed Moses, you would believe me, for he wrote about me. 47 But since you do not believe what he wrote, how are you going to believe what I say?"

NOTE: This passage ought to put a chill in the heart of an outwardly religious person. Jesus' audience was very religious and, as he says, had set their hopes on Moses. But Jesus tells them that 1) they do not have the love of God in their hearts; 2) they readily accept people who believe like them; 3) they long ago lost the desire to please God; and 4) they have ceased to really dig into the truth that could save their lives, i.e., the scriptures which foretold about Jesus. How do we avoid becoming outwardly religious? I think it starts inwardly. It requires a steady dose of truth, which is the word of God. We need to read his Word daily and saturate our mind with truth. Secondly, we need to evaluate our actions in light of truth. We need to ask the hard questions of our motives and don't let ourselves be fooled by others' praise. We need to learn to repent of sin immediately, so that nothing can hinder the Lord's work in our lives. Finally, we must never put our hope in rules or outward expressions of faith, because God looks at the heart, and works can never save us.

No comments:

Post a Comment