Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

QT 23 Jul 13, God is revealed primarily through his word

1 Sam 3:21-4:1a (NIV) The Lord continued to appear at Shiloh, and there he revealed himself to Samuel through his word.

4:1a And Samuel's word came to all Israel.

NOTE: Samuel learned about God from the word. That is the primary means that God uses to reveal himself to his people. Samuel was a teacher, and the natural result of his growth in the Lord was his ability to teach Israel. This period of time is during the book of Judges. There are great errors in knowledge and application of God's word during this time. And, as the knowledge of God's word dwindles, the people descend further into sin, repeating the story of Romans 1:18-32. But Samuel's entrance stops the descent, but it is not Samuel, it is the teaching of the truth of God's word.


As my country travels farther away from the teachings of God's word, it is not surprisingly that the culture is collapsing. Actually, it is only collapsing from a spiritual perspective. It is morphing into something that is guaranteed to bring pain, sorrow, and great loss to its people. Life outside of God is empty. Real life is found in a relationship with God through the work of his son on the cross, and through obedience to his word. I have also been called to teach God's word. But my goal is not to fill up people with empty truths but truths that change. I want people to know and do God's word. That is my heart's desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment