Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, September 20, 2013

QT 20 Sep 13, God needs servant-leaders

1 Sam 8:10-18 (ESV) So Samuel told all the words of the Lord to the people who were asking for a king from him. 11 He said, "These will be the ways of the king who will reign over you: he will take your sons and appoint them to his chariots and to be his horsemen and to run before his chariots. 12 And he will appoint for himself commanders of thousands and commanders of fifties, and some to plow his ground and to reap his harvest, and to make his implements of war and the equipment of his chariots. 13 He will take your daughters to be perfumers and cooks and bakers. 14  He will take the best of your fields and vineyards and olive orchards and give them to his servants. 15 He will take the tenth of your grain and of your vineyards and give it to his officers and to his servants. 16 He will take your male servants and female servants and the best of your young men and your donkeys, and put them to his work. 17 He will take the tenth of your flocks, and you shall be his slaves. 18 And in that day you will cry out because of your king, whom you have chosen for yourselves, but the Lord will not answer you in that day."


NOTE: The idea of a king is not bad. There are many good reasons to have a king. The problem is that with most people, power goes to their head and they abuse their position. The old phrase, "absolute power corrupts absolutely," is still true today. While I doubt I will ever be in that position, although I was a squadron commander once for three years, I'm not sure how valuable it is to consider what causes or can prevent corruption. Clearly, Jesus' instructions about being a servant-leader are very helpful. A leader should see himself, first as a servant to others. Paul writes  in Philippian before discussion Jesus' actions, to consider others more important than yourself. A servant would think of the other person first. A servant is observant of other's needs. A servant does not puff himself up with thoughts of his own importance but spends his time considering how he can help others. Father, if you ever put me in that position again, help me to be a servant-leader. I want to put others first and think of how I can help them to be successful. I don't need to be "the man," but if I am, I pray it would an extension of your son's life on earth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment