Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

QT 9 Oct 13, If all God's commands made sense, then we would have to be God

1 Sam 15:1-3, 7-12a, 15-16 (ESV) And Samuel said to Saul, "The Lord sent me to anoint you king over his people Israel; now therefore listen to the words of the Lord. 2 Thus says the Lord of hosts, 'I have noted what Amalek did to Israel in opposing them on the way when they came up out of Egypt. 3 Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.'"

. . .  7  And Saul defeated the Amalekites from Havilah as far as Shur, which is east of Egypt. 8 And he took Agag the king of the Amalekites alive and devoted to destruction all the people with the edge of the sword. 9  But Saul and the people spared Agag and the best of the sheep and of the oxen and of the fattened calves and the lambs, and all that was good, and would not utterly destroy them. All that was despised and worthless they devoted to destruction.

10 The word of the Lord came to Samuel: 11  "I regret that I have made Saul king, for he has turned back from following me and has not performed my commandments." And Samuel was angry, and he cried to the Lord all night. 12 And Samuel rose early to meet Saul in the morning . . . 15 Saul said, "They have brought them from the Amalekites, for the people spared the best of the sheep and of the oxen to sacrifice to the Lord your God, and the rest we have devoted to destruction." 16 Then Samuel said to Saul, "Stop! I will tell you what the Lord said to me this night." And he said to him, "Speak."

NOTE: It is another test. Previously, chapter 14 ends with success on every front as Saul subdues the enemies of Israel. At the height of his success, God tests him. Saul reverts to applying worldly wisdom over and above the commands of God. In other words, doesn't it make more sense to do this than what God commands? Surely, God would see the wisdom I have applied versus the folly of his command. Maybe, God did not understand. Maybe God did not know. As I write these sentences, we are so foolish when we use our understanding to trump a command of God. His wisdom and knowledge far exceeds our puny brains. The fact that we don't understand what seems to be foolishness on God's part does not condemn God, but rather us and the limitations of our knowledge and understanding. Of course it might not make sense, we are comparing the knowledge of the infinite God against the puny .05 cubic foot of the largest human brain. Of course, it does not make sense, logically it probably shouldn't. It is a whole lot like trying to explain quantum mechanics to a two year old. If it does make sense, then something is wrong.

Secondly, Samuel starts to rebuke Saul, and Saul takes it very poorly. Samuel interrupts the king and tells him to "stop!" repeating his justification for disobeying God's command. Saul obviously takes it wrong, because he is the king. So, to reaffirm his authority over God's authority (and more specifically Samuel), he gives Samuel permission to continue, "speak." As if God needs our approval to rebuke us. That is what power does to us. It subtly pushes above everything that we recognized as authority before. The rules don't apply to us, only to others. And that is wrong. Father, forgive me when I let the sin of pride think that I am better than some rule of some other person. Forgive me for my pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment