Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, January 24, 2014

QT 17 Jan 14, I need to stop trying to put the attention on self

Matt 4:5-7 (ESV)  Then the devil took him to the holy city and set him on the pinnacle of the temple 6 and said to him, "If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down, for it is written,

 "'He will command his angels concerning you,'

and

"'On their hands they will bear you up,
lest you strike your foot against a stone.'"

7 Jesus said to him, "Again it is written, 'You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.'"


NOTE: This is my struggle and many others as well. I would call it the "me syndrome," the desire to call attention to oneself because of what they have done or what they are. It is also called just plain pride. Jesus was worthy and yet he did not seek it. I too often seek it through my words and even my actions. God calls me to humility. It is an important aspect of my witness. It is refreshing and appealing to others. Pride is a great turnoff. I know--I don't like it in others--why can't I see it in myself? I suppose it starts with getting the attention off of myself and putting it on others. I can do that by listening and asking questions of others, rather than just wanting to get my story in. Forgive me Lord for my ugly selfishness and pride. Give me a love and concern for others. Help me to think about them and to see how I can serve them.

No comments:

Post a Comment