Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, July 24, 2014

QT 24 Jul 14, Live what you teach

Ex 14:13-16 (ESV) And Moses said to the people, "Fear not, stand firm, and see the salvation of the Lord, which he will work for you today. For the Egyptians whom you see today, you shall never see again. 14  The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent."

15 The Lord said to Moses, "Why do you cry to me? Tell the people of Israel to go forward. 16  Lift up your staff, and stretch out your hand over the sea and divide it, that the people of Israel may go through the sea on dry ground.

NOTE: The statement of God to Moses is difficult at first glance. So, a number of things must be remembered first. God does not ask questions to gain information but for the purpose of the hearer to think. Second, God is not exasperated in a human emotion way. Third, the scripture does not record all that was said or is going on at this stage, but Moses does feel compelled to quote God completely (as I would too). Finally, in context, Moses has told the people, "The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent."

So, it would appear that Moses does not follow his advice. Also, if Moses can cry out to God, why should not the people do the same. The passage does not show Moses crying out, but God's question makes it clear that he was crying out. But crying out to God is a good thing, so why does Moses tell the people not to cry out. And maybe that is the point of the question. God wants us to cry out to him but Moses told the people not to cry out.


Lord, help me to see where I say one thing, but then I don't follow my own advice. Also, I pray that the things that I say are the right things to say and not just statements that sound good but are unbiblical. Help me to stay biblical.

No comments:

Post a Comment