Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, May 16, 2016

QT 16 May 16, 1 Tim 1:6-7, Truths about Desiring to be a Teacher

1 Tim 1:6-7 (ESV) Certain persons, by swerving from these, have wandered away into vain discussion, 7 desiring to be teachers of the law, without understanding either what they are saying or the things about which they make confident assertions.

NOTE: There are a couple of things that stand out quickly. One, Paul does not call these persons teachers but rather persons desiring to be teachers. So a characteristic of those who desire to be teachers but not are not yet, is that they wander away into vain discussions. I have seen this with many so-called teachers in the church. They cannot control the class or they lead the class into a vain discussion. What is a vain discussion? It is a discussion or teaching session that has no good outcome, it is vain--it is worthless. How many times have we walked out of a Sunday School discussion that was characterized completely by vain discussion? Too many in my opinion. The second observation I find is that these persons who desire to be teachers make "confident" assertions about things that they really don't understand. This one bothers me as much as anything. People make confident assertions about sovereignty, election, free will, and others without a true understanding of God's will. I make assertions too, but mine are couched in terms that indicate that I don't know for sure. I cannot comprehend God's wisdom.  I know from his word that two apparently opposite truths are both true, such as chosen by God before time, and free will. I know both are true. I teach both as true. I suggest ideas that might explain the apparent disconnect, but I certainly would never want to make a confident assertion. God protect me from my pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment