Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, May 19, 2016

QT 19 May 16, 1 Tim 1:12-13, We all should be classified as failures if it was not for a merciful God

1 Tim 1:12-13 (ESV) I thank him who has given me strength, Christ Jesus our Lord, because he judged me faithful, appointing me to his service, 13 though formerly I was a blasphemer, persecutor, and insolent opponent. But I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief, …


NOTE: Paul's approach to Timothy is to remind him that there are similarities between them. Paul had weaknesses too, he was deemed a blasphemer, a persecutor, and an insolent opponent, and yet, as he writes the letter, he is the leader of the ministry to the Gentiles. People had a lot of reasons to ignore Paul, and Paul felt weak, but God gave him strength and mercy, just as God could give Timothy. Everyone feels weak at times. Everyone goes through struggles where they do not feel up to the task. Timothy was not so unusual. Nor are we. It is normal to feel deficient to the task, but God is bigger than we are and he can make us successful. We all fail. We should not let our failures define us. I've failed in many ways, but God gives me strength and mercy to try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment