Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

QT 31 Aug 16, 1 Pet 1:22-23, Belief in Jesus is obedience to the truth that saves us forever

1 Peter 1:22–23 (ESV) — 22 Having purified your souls by your obedience to the truth for a sincere brotherly love, love one another earnestly from a pure heart, 23 since you have been born again, not of perishable seed but of imperishable, through the living and abiding word of God;


NOTE: The obedience to the truth is the placing of our faith in Jesus Christ -- that is what purifies our soul, not works in any general sense, but belief in Jesus, the one unpardonable sin (i.e., not believing in Jesus). As a result we are born again of an imperishable seed -- it can never die -- we can never die. That seed is the word of God which transforms us into new creatures who can now exercise sincere brotherly love, a love which we were created to experience and which few truly ever experience. This is why discipleship is so important, because we can begin experiencing brotherly love from others who are also being transformed, by application of the living word of God to our lives. I am excited and fearful as I look to the future, and realize the course our church has placed themselves. I am excited because I know God is going to change men and me. I am fearful because I know the enemy will fight back. But I must trust God. He who is in me is stronger than anything the enemy might throw against me. Father, protect us from the enemy. Keep us out of his hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment