Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, December 2, 2016

QT 2 Dec 16, Gal 5:16-18, Free, but with a slave master who disagrees (our self)

Galatians 5:16–18 (ESV) — 16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.


NOTE: The message for the believer in Jesus Christ is that we are free of ANY AND ALL rules. God loves us completely because of our faith in his son. He has adopted us as his children, which we were NOT children of God before faith, and we cannot do anything that will reduce his love in any way. We are completely and totally loved. We do not need to perform. Certainly, we can please or displease him, much in the same way as a child pleases or displeases their parents, but love cannot be taken away. So, why then do we have rules. The rules are really for our best. The problem is that we don't see it that way. The reason is that our flesh wants to convince us that happiness is attained in the activities of the flesh that God has commanded us to avoid. And so the believer is faced with a struggle, a struggle between the sinful desires of the flesh and the Holy Spirit in us trying to get us to do what is good for our being, and for our witness. We are free to love God without the restraints of performance, but we will struggle with our flesh for control. We need to do what Jesus said to do each day: make Jesus the Lord of our life. Matthew 11:28–30 (ESV) — 28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment