Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

QT 10 Jan 17, Judg 2:1-5, God remains faithful even when his children do not

Judges 2:1–5 (ESV) — 1 Now the angel of the Lord went up from Gilgal to Bochim. And he said, “I brought you up from Egypt and brought you into the land that I swore to give to your fathers. I said, ‘I will never break my covenant with you, 2 and you shall make no covenant with the inhabitants of this land; you shall break down their altars.’ But you have not obeyed my voice. What is this you have done? 3 So now I say, I will not drive them out before you, but they shall become thorns in your sides, and their gods shall be a snare to you.” 4 As soon as the angel of the Lord spoke these words to all the people of Israel, the people lifted up their voices and wept. 5 And they called the name of that place Bochim. And they sacrificed there to the Lord.

NOTE: This passage follows chapter 1 in an explanatory mode. God says that the reason for the Israelites failure to take the land is not chariots but disobedience. Even so, God makes it clear that he will never break his covenant with Israel. Discipline is not breaking a covenant. We discipline our children for their good (well, some do), and so God disciplines his people for their good. But he never stops loving them. In one sense, that is the message of Galatians. If you are a child of God by faith, God's love for you can never change. Nothing we do or fail to do will change that love for us. We can't earn God's love. God's love is his personal choice. Despite all of our failures, he remains faithful

No comments:

Post a Comment