Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, January 27, 2017

QT 27 Jan 17, Judg 6:7-10, Suffering is a good time for personal reflection

Judges 6:7–10 (ESV) — 7 When the people of Israel cried out to the Lord on account of the Midianites, 8 the Lord sent a prophet to the people of Israel. And he said to them, “Thus says the Lord, the God of Israel: I led you up from Egypt and brought you out of the house of slavery. 9 And I delivered you from the hand of the Egyptians and from the hand of all who oppressed you, and drove them out before you and gave you their land. 10 And I said to you, ‘I am the Lord your God; you shall not fear the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell.’ But you have not obeyed my voice.”

NOTE: The Lord does not always give reasons for our suffering, unlike this passage or the book of Judge. There is a general explanation in Genesis that tells us that we chose to rebel against God as our king and consequently are getting what we desired, ruler ship of our lives and the unintended consequences of that decision. For God's people, God does at time provide additional explanation, as in this case. God tells Israel that the reason they are starving (the Midianites were raiding their food supplies), was simple, "… but you have not obeyed my voice." In this case, as in many other cases, God is trying to get their attention. This is not how God designed life and this is not how God designed Israel's existence in the land. But the people chose their own rules to follow and disobeyed what God said. I certainly would not want to suggest that all suffering is disobedience, but suffering should cause reflection. Suffering may be just part of the evil which is in the world because of the original rebellion, but it could be specific to an issue in our life, and it is worth addressing directly with God. I like to use David's prayer:
Psalm 139:23–24 (ESV) — 23 Search me, O God, and know my heart!
Try me and know my thoughts!
24 And see if there be any grievous way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment