Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, April 17, 2017

QT 17 Apr 17, Matt 12:46-50, The consequences of unbelief

Matthew 12:46–50 (ESV) — 46 While he was still speaking to the people, behold, his mother and his brothers stood outside, asking to speak to him. 48 But he replied to the man who told him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” 49 And stretching out his hand toward his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers! 50 For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”


NOTE: A curious passage to follow the rejection by the nation Israel toward Jesus' claim of Messiahship. Jesus uses the event to make a point. His family is not his blood relations, i.e., Israel, his family now is his disciples, those who believe in him (which is the will of the Father in heaven). Jesus now focuses his ministry on the disciples and he saves individuals, but the offer of the kingdom has been withdrawn from the nation Israel and "this generation," because they failed to understand the times, and they rejected the Messiah, their God, in his physical manifestation on earth. They called him the opposite of God, Satan, and so rejected him. Now Jesus reveals a new family of God, those who believe in him will be adopted into the household of God and share in his inheritance. Lord, help us to see and understand the times we live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment