Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

QT 25 Apr 17, Matt 13:51-52, We need to understand BOTH the old treasures and the new treasures to teach

Matthew 13:51–52 (ESV) — 51 “Have you understood all these things?” They said to him, “Yes.” 52 And he said to them, “Therefore every scribe who has been trained for the kingdom of heaven is like a master of a house, who brings out of his treasure what is new and what is old.”

NOTE: In the new kingdom, the old treasure is the teaching in the old testament (OT) about Jesus, and the new treasure is the revealing of the mysteries and the teaching in the new testament (NT) about Jesus. A teacher (scribe) needs to understand both the NT and the OT, and how they relate to Jesus, and only then is he considered trained. The one thing that does bother me about teachers today is the lack of understanding of Jewish culture, teaching, and traditions of the OT. I think a correct understanding of this eastern culture can shed valuable insights on the treasures of the NT, but far too many teachers use their western framework to understand the treasure of the NT. Lord, open my eyes to your truth. Help me to understand the OT better. As an application, I need to continue my reading program in books on Jewish culture and social activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment