Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, May 11, 2017

QT 11 May 17, 1 Tim 6:17-19 and Luke 16:9, Use wealth for the kingdom's sake

1 Timothy 6:17–19 (ESV) — 17 As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy. 18 They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, 19 thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life.

Luke 16:9 (ESV) — 9 And I tell you, make friends for yourselves by means of unrighteous wealth, so that when it fails they may receive you into the eternal dwellings.

NOTE: The scripture tells us that the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, which does not mean that money is evil or that having money suggests evil. But there are dangers with money and one of those dangers is to seek money and to love money. Jesus says that your heart can only serve one master, God or money. Now, given that you are serving God first but still have money, how should you then live? These two verses tell us to use our money for good and for the kingdom's sake. Money or the accumulation of money is not the objective. The use of money for good things is the objective. How can I use the money God has given me to reach others that I know for Christ? How can I help the body mature in Christ? Certainly our first goal is to give to the local church and various Christian ministries. But it does not have to be limited to only those things, we can give our money in ways that does not result in a tax benefit but is still an act of love. How another person views it is not my problem -- rather I serve the Lord Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment