Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, June 8, 2021

QT 6/8/2021 Mal 1:13-14, Relationship with Jesus versus Religion

 Malachi 1:13–14 (ESV) — 13 But you say, ‘What a weariness this is,’ and you snort at it, says the Lord of hosts. You bring what has been taken by violence or is lame or sick, and this you bring as your offering! Shall I accept that from your hand? says the Lord. 14 Cursed be the cheat who has a male in his flock, and vows it, and yet sacrifices to the Lord what is blemished. For I am a great King, says the Lord of hosts, and my name will be feared among the nations. 


NOTE: The issue in this paragraph of Malachi (verses 6 - 13) is that the people believe they can do the minimal acceptable act of service and that is good enough. Instead of giving something of value, like an unblemished lamb, they give something they don't need, like an injured animal or something someone else gave them or something they took in battle but does not fit in the herd. They are killing two birds with one stone (a sacrifice), getting rid of something they don't need and fulfilling their religious commitment. And that is all that it is -- religion. When people think this way, there is no heart, there is no reality to their faith. They are going through the motions and doing the least amount of effort to fulfill the requirement. They do not understand a relationship. When you love someone, you don't do the least, you do the most to express your love. Their faith is actually fake. It is religion -- worthless and boring. They have no idea of the greatness of the God they supposedly serve.

PONDER
1) Do I realize that God is not fooled by lip service or worthless acts that have no meaning to me? If it really does not mean anything to me, it means less to God.
2) Do I give my very best to God?
3) Do I recognize that Christianity it is a relationship, not a religion?

PRAYER: Father, open the eyes of the blind, those who think they are Christians but do not have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. They are nice people who go to church, but they have no true life in them. They have not confessed their sin, repented, and put their faith in Jesus. They serve and do good  things but they are like the Pharisees, religious people and empty graves. I pray they can see the real Jesus before it is too late.


No comments:

Post a Comment