Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, December 23, 2021

QT 12/22/2021 Gal 4:4-7, The gift of sonship

 

Galatians 4:4–7 (ESV) —

4 But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, 5 to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons. 6 And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!” 7 So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God.

 

NOTE: It was the right time, why? I don't know. I'm sure when the plan is fully revealed we will marvel at the intricacies of God's detail. But it was the time, and Jesus came from the Father, born of a woman to redeem those under the law, so that we MIGHT receive adoption as sons. "Might" is a very important word because, in this context, it means you have to believe and receive. And for the person who truly believes (not an intellectual assent, or simply an emotional response, and definitely not a good work or works), the Holy Spirit of God enters our hearts and we become the most glorious of earthly creations, sons of the most high. What an honor! What an amazing gift!

 

PONDER:

  1. Do we really appreciate this Christmas season what the birth brought us?
  2. Do we ever spend specific time thanking God for this indescribable birthright (which was never a right until we believed)?

 

PRAYER: Father, thank you that I am a son. I believed, I was born again, and I've seen incredible changes in the person I was to the person I am now. Thank you for the new birth. Thank you for the new creation. Thank you for the new relationship. Thank you for the future as one of you sons.

No comments:

Post a Comment