Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, December 30, 2021

QT 12/30/2021 1 Kings 14:1-13, What is our impact?

 

UPDATE: This is a repeat of a QT on 29 Dec 2010.

 

1 Kings 14:1–13 (ESV) —

1 At that time Abijah the son of Jeroboam fell sick. 2 And Jeroboam said to his wife, “Arise, and disguise yourself, that it not be known that you are the wife of Jeroboam, and go to Shiloh. Behold, Ahijah the prophet is there, who said of me that I should be king over this people. 3 Take with you ten loaves, some cakes, and a jar of honey, and go to him. He will tell you what shall happen to the child.”

4 Jeroboam’s wife did so. She arose and went to Shiloh and came to the house of Ahijah. Now Ahijah could not see, for his eyes were dim because of his age. 5 And the Lord said to Ahijah, “Behold, the wife of Jeroboam is coming to inquire of you concerning her son, for he is sick. Thus and thus shall you say to her.”

When she came, she pretended to be another woman. 6 But when Ahijah heard the sound of her feet, as she came in at the door, he said, “Come in, wife of Jeroboam. Why do you pretend to be another? For I am charged with unbearable news for you. 7 Go, tell Jeroboam, ‘Thus says the Lord, the God of Israel: “Because I exalted you from among the people and made you leader over my people Israel 8 and tore the kingdom away from the house of David and gave it to you, and yet you have not been like my servant David, who kept my commandments and followed me with all his heart, doing only that which was right in my eyes, 9 but you have done evil above all who were before you and have gone and made for yourself other gods and metal images, provoking me to anger, and have cast me behind your back, 10 therefore behold, I will bring harm upon the house of Jeroboam and will cut off from Jeroboam every male, both bond and free in Israel, and will burn up the house of Jeroboam, as a man burns up dung until it is all gone. 11 Anyone belonging to Jeroboam who dies in the city the dogs shall eat, and anyone who dies in the open country the birds of the heavens shall eat, for the Lord has spoken it.” ’ 12 Arise therefore, go to your house. When your feet enter the city, the child shall die. 13 And all Israel shall mourn for him and bury him, for he only of Jeroboam shall come to the grave, because in him there is found something pleasing to the Lord, the God of Israel, in the house of Jeroboam.

 

NOTE: A blind prophet recognizes the footsteps of a disguised women he had never met as the King's wife (although possibly being blind was an advantage).  And while his words are harsh, the act of identifying his wife should have confirmed God's control of life to Jeroboam.  Jeroboam received a prophecy that he would be king, but somehow he justified it as a lucky guess, because he makes no attempt to please the God who gave him the kingship.  Now, when his son is near death, he needs God.  He doesn't go (that we know) to the high places he set up or to any of the people who wanted to be his priests.  He goes back to the original prophet who had told him he would be King.  Why is it that even unbelievers turn to God in their pain?  The prophet's words are harsh and fitting.  Jeroboam had failed in the role God gave to him.  He had led a nation into a sin, that would continue until its very destruction.

 

I think the Lord gives each person who believes in Him a ministry and a role.  We can follow God, or we can live life for ourselves.  But God will call us to account for how we have used the gifts and calling he has given to us.

 

Jeroboam's actions gave him the infamous tagline in scripture, "the sins of Jeroboam, son of Nebat." None of the kings of the northern kingdom ever did differently. They all followed the sins of Jeroboam, son of Nebat. He could have had so much good influence, and instead his name is repeatedly recognized for his bad influence.

 

PONDER:

  1. What will be my tagline to my heritage? It is not too late to create new tagline.
  2. We all influence at least one person and more likely many, even if we do not notice. Is my influence good or bad or indifferently? God will call me to account.
  3. Am I doing what God has called me to do? Do I even care?

 

PRAYER: Father, each of us has a role and place in the body, but too many of the members stand by idly watching the 20 percent do the work for the whole. What is our place of service? In this new year, show us where you want us to serve and how you want to use our life.

No comments:

Post a Comment