Ephesians 3:7–13 (ESV) —
7 Of this gospel I was made a minister according to the gift of God’s grace, which was given me by the working of his power. 8 To me, though I am the very least of all the saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, 9 and to bring to light for everyone what is the plan of the mystery hidden for ages in God, who created all things, 10 so that through the church the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly places. 11 This was according to the eternal purpose that he has realized in Christ Jesus our Lord, 12 in whom we have boldness and access with confidence through our faith in him. 13 So I ask you not to lose heart over what I am suffering for you, which is your glory.
NOTE: The main point of the passage is the predicted unity of Jews and Gentiles as believers, and even more importantly, their complete equality in Christ (Constable, 2003). What I prefer to focus on this morning, is how Paul viewed his ministry. Paul saw himself as a nobody, not deserving of any special treatment. Some have suggested he was also grammatically playing on words, as his name in Latin meant "little." From other passages, we know that his stature was not his defining quality (In Lystra, Barnabas was called Zeus, and Paul was called Hermes, mainly because he was the chief speaker) . He could also be like Hermes in his short height and slight chubbiness. The Corinthians said that his bodily presence was weak and even his speaking was of no account (in contrast to his letters). Whatever he looked like, Paul did not see himself as deserving of the incredible gift of God's grace, the preaching of the unsearchable riches of Christ to the Gentiles. And yet, this nobody in his own eyes, was the key man God used to change the entire known world.
We don't have to be a "somebody" for God to use. But I do think there are a few requirements which Paul met.
- A daily desire to dig into the word of God
- A priority placed on the things of God and the will of God
- A teachable spirit willing to learn from others
- A faithfulness to be obedient to God's word
- A humility to accept the things of God no matter how seemingly unimportant to ourselves
PONDER:
- There was a term we used to use to describe a potential disciple, it was FAT. It meant, Faithful, Available, and Teachable. Are you, am I FAT?
PRAYER: Father, I pray for believers in these days, that we would turn from our lazy and narcissistic ways, and recommit ourselves to serving you. Help us to see where we have placed our own comfort over service to others.
No comments:
Post a Comment