Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, April 12, 2010

QT 12 Apr 10


Ex 19:9-14 (NIV) The Lord said to Moses, "I am going to come to you in a dense cloud, so that the people will hear me speaking with you and will always put their trust in you." Then Moses told the Lord what the people had said.

10 And the Lord said to Moses, "Go to the people and consecrate them today and tomorrow. Have them wash their clothes 11 and be ready by the third day, because on that day the Lord will come down on Mount Sinai in the sight of all the people. 12 Put limits for the people around the mountain and tell them, 'Be careful that you do not go up the mountain or touch the foot of it. Whoever touches the mountain shall surely be put to death. 13 He shall surely be stoned or shot with arrows; not a hand is to be laid on him. Whether man or animal, he shall not be permitted to live.' Only when the ram's horn sounds a long blast may they go up to the mountain."

14 After Moses had gone down the mountain to the people, he consecrated them, and they washed their clothes.

NOTE: This is the ultimate guest for dinner. The people take three days to prepare themselves for the Lord's visit. I'm sure they cleaned up the tents, buried the trash, and washed everything. They took baths and they put on clean clothes. We do somewhat similar things when people visit our home -- well not everyone, but most people do. Why? We want to make a good impression. We want the person to feel comfortable (although one can argue if a dirty house makes someone more comfortable). It does convey importance to the visiting party. But in reality, we now meet with God every day. We can approach the throne of grace with confidence. Worship is, or at least should be, a part of our everyday life. How do we prepare ourselves when the experience is routine? Obviously, confession comes to mind. We need to confess our sins, our attitudes, our failures prior as we come to God. Jesus also suggested making wrongs, right as well. I need to remember that my meeting with God should never be so commonplace as to miss the significance and the importance of it. He is still my creator, my king, my Lord, my ruler, my father, my friend, and my savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment