Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, April 2, 2010

QT 2 Apr 10

Ex 16:19, 20, 26-30 (NIV) Then Moses said to them, "No one is to keep any of it until morning."

20 However, some of them paid no attention to Moses; they kept part of it until morning, but it was full of maggots and began to smell. So Moses was angry with them.

. . . . 26 Six days you are to gather it, but on the seventh day, the Sabbath, there will not be any."

27 Nevertheless, some of the people went out on the seventh day to gather it, but they found none. 28 Then the Lord said to Moses, "How long will you refuse to keep my commands and my instructions? 29 Bear in mind that the Lord has given you the Sabbath; that is why on the sixth day he gives you bread for two days. Everyone is to stay where he is on the seventh day; no one is to go out." 30 So the people rested on the seventh day.

NOTE: Twice the people test God. The first time is to save some until the next day. The second time is to gather when they are not supposed to gather. Why do we behave so? Normally, I would probably be the person saving some for the next day. But if God specifically said not to -- I hope I would be sensible enough to obey. My struggle with these verses is that while they are amazingly specific, most of my obedience is not to such specific commands or at least it doesn't seem that way. I know I am to trust in God for my needs, but how much do I save, prepare for the future, etc? When do I follow-up on something, when do I wait upon God? I don't want to be like the Israelites and test God because of my lack of faith. But I do want to act prudently and rationally, for God has given me a mind to think. I suppose I will just have to struggle with this concept all my life, and in that sense, my obedience may be more difficult than the Israelites.

No comments:

Post a Comment