Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

QT 14 Apr 10

Ex 20:18-21, 24-25 (NIV) When the people saw the thunder and lightning and heard the trumpet and saw the mountain in smoke, they trembled with fear. They stayed at a distance 19 and said to Moses, "Speak to us yourself and we will listen. But do not have God speak to us or we will die."

20 Moses said to the people, "Do not be afraid. God has come to test you, so that the fear of God will be with you to keep you from sinning."

21 The people remained at a distance, while Moses approached the thick darkness where God was.

24 "'Make an altar of earth for me and sacrifice on it your burnt offerings and fellowship offerings, your sheep and goats and your cattle. Wherever I cause my name to be honored, I will come to you and bless you. 25 If you make an altar of stones for me, do not build it with dressed stones, for you will defile it if you use a tool on it.

NOTE: Two things stand out. One, God does specifically say that the fear of God will keep them from sinning. I think we like to spiritualize that or mollify it by suggesting that the fear of God means respect or awe. But it is very clear from the context that the fear is physical and emotional fear. Actually, we may not like to admit it, but fear can have a very positive effect on our behavior.

Secondly, God wants the altar built out of stones, with no tools of any kind. Now, the tabernacle will have different rules for a different purpose, but I think that the point is that when we come to God, we don't come on our terms or what he have done to deserve his presence. We can't earn a meeting with God. We can't earn an answer to a prayer. We come as we are with nothing to boast about.

No comments:

Post a Comment