Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

QT 14 Jul 10

1 Cor 13:1-3 (NIV) If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

NOTE: No matter how spiritual we might consider ourselves, if we do not have love, we are nothing. We have very little value in the kingdom of God, at least as a witness or a force for good. Sure, we have value because Christ died for us, but our usefulness for the kingdom is zilch. It might even be negative, although Paul doesn't say that. Of course, if it was, the advance of the kingdom is better off with us in the grave than living on earth under the title "Christian."

I think many "churchy" people fit in this category. There is no love, there is no reality of the Christian faith in their lives. They are grumblers and complainers. They lash out at service personnel when their order is wrong. They get huffy when they wait. They really are no different than the world -- why should the world even consider their Savior -- he didn't do them any good.

Father, open my eyes to see where my witness fails, and where love is lacking in my own life.

No comments:

Post a Comment