Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

QT 20 Jul 10

1 Cor 15:9-11 (NIV) For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. 10 But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them — yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me. 11 Whether, then, it was I or they, this is what we preach, and this is what you believed.

NOTE: It is an interesting way in which Paul words this passage. He says he "worked harder … yet not I, but the grace of God that was within me." Well what is it then? Was it God's grace or his hard work? All the apostles had grace, why was his grace more effective? So, it is not grace alone--in the sense--that no effort is required on our part. We need grace, but we need to work in conjunction with God's grace to achieve the effect desired, spiritual growth (not spiritual salvation, that only requires belief). Could we do it on our own? No. Could we do it just by God's grace inhabiting us? No. We work together with God's grace. Working without it will cause failure. Living without working will cause failure. No, in conjunction with God's grace we work out our salvation with fear and trembling.

Well, the next thing is to figure out what that looks like. Clearly dependence is required. That also suggests prayer. Part of the work is probably prayer. Who we give credit to is also key -- so that we do not fall into the devil's trap.

No comments:

Post a Comment