Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, July 8, 2010

QT 8 Jul 10

1 Cor 12:1-7 (NIV) Now about spiritual gifts, brothers, I do not want you to be ignorant. 2 You know that when you were pagans, somehow or other you were influenced and led astray to mute idols. 3 Therefore I tell you that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, "Jesus be cursed," and no one can say, "Jesus is Lord," except by the Holy Spirit.

4 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6 There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men.

NOTE: We know that the Corinthians had questions about spiritual gifts, although it is not entirely clear what the questions were or why they would reference there time in pagan belief systems. What I find interesting, is that Paul distinguishes gifts, service, and working. Gifts is the Greek word, charisma, and refers to a divine gratuity or special endowment Service is the Greek word, diakonia, and means attendance, figuratively aid or service. And lastly, working is the Greek word, energema, meaning an effect.

The first, gifts is tied to the Holy Spirit. The second, service, is tied to the Lord, possibly Jesus. The third, effect, is tied to God, possibly the Father. So, the HS gives gifts, we serve the Son in ministry, and God gives the results. In each of the three, there are differences, be they gifts, ministries, or effectual results. So, in the same way one wouldn't compare gifts, one can't compare service, or results, because they are all different.

My place in ministry may not correspond to anybody else, but that does not diminish my unique gifts, ministry, or what God does through my life. My job is to be obedient, not to compare.

No comments:

Post a Comment