Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

QT 18 Oct 11, Legally, my status as a slave to sin has changed


Rom 8:8-11 (NIV) Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God.

9 You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ. 10 But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness. 11 And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you.

NOTE: We are not controlled by the sinful nature nor are we slaves to sins.  We are legally (spiritually) freed from the hold over us.  We have a new owner.  And while is was not possible to please God, not matter what we did, now it is possible, because the stain of sin has been removed, and our minds have been renewed.  In olden days, when slavery was practiced, a person was a slave with little ability to change his status.  For some, slavery was forced, and for some it was entered voluntarily.  This picture is one of forced slavery.  In slavery, one is not completely controlled, and maybe that is the picture here.  We want to get out but we can't, because sin has a stranglehold on us.  Jesus death, and our faith, breaks sin's claim upon us.  We are free to serve God.  In a sense, this a legal picture.  Except for the Spirit living within us, and beginning to renew our mind, many things remain the same.  I still live in a sinful body, just as before when I was a slave to sin.  I still have the same choices.  I still choose wrongly, and at times I choose correctly, which I also did when I was a slave to sin.  But the good news is that legally I am no longer owned by sin or a slave to sin.  Jesus gives me life, and I'm being changed to become more like my savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment