Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

QT 25 Oct 11, God's mercy does not cancel our free will


Rom 9:10-16 (NIV) Not only that, but Rebekah's children had one and the same father, our father Isaac. 11 Yet, before the twins were born or had done anything good or bad — in order that God's purpose in election might stand: 12 not by works but by him who calls — she was told, "The older will serve the younger."  13 Just as it is written: "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated."

14 What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all! 15 For he says to Moses,

"I will have mercy on whom I have mercy,
and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion."

16 It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy.

NOTE: The point of election is to disprove any thought that works is involved in salvation.  God's showing of mercy has nothing to do with us, that is, how we lived, what good works we have done, or anything that would make us acceptable to God.  God chose freely to shower his mercy upon us.  And yet nothing here says that free will is still not involved.  I do not believe that the fact that God's mercy was shown to me saved me.  I had to respond to that mercy.  God showed mercy to Israel by selecting them from among all nation groups, and yet many are not nor will be saved.  In fact, verse 32 says that many stumble over a stone of "salvation by works," and hence are not saved.  So, the question is then, "is everyone shown mercy or not?"  Everyone I know or have met has been shown mercy.  And millions of others are taking the gospel to faraway places so that others might hear of God's mercy.  Everyone on earth has seen God's creative works.  But if some are not shown mercy, there is no fault on God's part, since he could have chosen not to create them as well.  Does his mercy diminish because he chose to create someone or he chose not to create that person?  I say "no."

No comments:

Post a Comment