Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, November 7, 2011

QT 7 Nov 11, Election does not negate choice


Rom 11:1-6 (NIV) I ask then: Did God reject his people? By no means! I am an Israelite myself, a descendant of Abraham, from the tribe of Benjamin. 2 God did not reject his people, whom he foreknew. Don't you know what the Scripture says in the passage about Elijah — how he appealed to God against Israel: 3 "Lord, they have killed your prophets and torn down your altars; I am the only one left, and they are trying to kill me"?  4 And what was God's answer to him? "I have reserved for myself seven thousand who have not bowed the knee to Baal."  5 So too, at the present time there is a remnant chosen by grace. 6 And if by grace, then it is no longer by works; if it were, grace would no longer be grace.

NOTE: Paul says that God did not reject his people because Paul himself is a believer.  In fact, the entire early church were all Jewish.  It was only during Paul's missionary endeavors that it slowly began to become more and more Gentile.  Paul, like many other Jews, represent the remnant, the group of true believers that have existed even in the worst of times for Israel.  This group is not defined by works but by grace.  But less we suggest that God's sovereignty chose the group, we should not miss the reference to the seven thousand who did not bend the knee to Baal.  Yes, it is by grace, but yes also, a person needs to choose who he bends his knee to.  Bending the knee represents the "will" and is not salvation by works.  God sends mercy upon who he "wills," but we need to "will" to accept his  grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment