Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

QT 9 Nov 11, I am undeserving of God's grace


Rom 11:13-21 (NIV) I am talking to you Gentiles. Inasmuch as I am the apostle to the Gentiles, I make much of my ministry 14 in the hope that I may somehow arouse my own people to envy and save some of them. 15 For if their rejection is the reconciliation of the world, what will their acceptance be but life from the dead? 16 If the part of the dough offered as firstfruits is holy, then the whole batch is holy; if the root is holy, so are the branches.

17 If some of the branches have been broken off, and you, though a wild olive shoot, have been grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing sap from the olive root, 18 do not boast over those branches. If you do, consider this: You do not support the root, but the root supports you. 19 You will say then, "Branches were broken off so that I could be grafted in." 20 Granted. But they were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith. Do not be arrogant, but be afraid. 21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, he will not spare you either.

NOTE: Again, the idea of sovereignty, "branches broken off," and free will, "their rejection … arouse to envy … because of unbelief," stand side by side in Paul's explanation of God's work in salvation.  Rather than arguing over Calvinism and Armenian-ism, we should accept the truth that God in his sovereignty has shown grace to people according to his choice but that man must respond to that grace by a free choice of his own will.  I am thankful for the mercy shown to me.  I did not deserve grace, I will never deserve God's grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment