Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

QT 18 Jan 12, Serving God with a whole heart


Num 14:21-25 (NIV) Nevertheless, as surely as I live and as surely as the glory of the Lord fills the whole earth, 22 not one of the men who saw my glory and the miraculous signs I performed in Egypt and in the desert but who disobeyed me and tested me ten times —  23 not one of them will ever see the land I promised on oath to their forefathers. No one who has treated me with contempt will ever see it. 24 But because my servant Caleb has a different spirit and follows me wholeheartedly, I will bring him into the land he went to, and his descendants will inherit it. 25 Since the Amalekites and Canaanites are living in the valleys, turn back tomorrow and set out toward the desert along the route to the Red Sea."

NOTE: Out of 600k men, only two are allowed to see the conquest of Canaan. Moses and Aaron also fall into the category of "treated me with contempt." For Moses, it was when he disobeyed specific instructions with the water from the rock, and for Aaron, it was when he and Miriam grumbled about Moses leadership (or rather God's choice of leadership). Caleb is described as a person with a different spirit and who follows wholeheartedly. I think a different spirit is seen in a different worldview, not seeing things from man's perspective but seeing things from God's perspective.  Wholeheartedness is shown by a desire to obey God in every aspect of a person's life. There is no holding back or keeping a few things to oneself, everything is sold out for the Lord. I want to please God in this way -- I want to be a Caleb.

No comments:

Post a Comment