Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

QT 3 Jan 12, Complaining is natural, counting blessings is counter culture


Num 11:1-3 (NIV) Now the people complained about their hardships in the hearing of the Lord, and when he heard them his anger was aroused. Then fire from the Lord burned among them and consumed some of the outskirts of the camp. 2 When the people cried out to Moses, he prayed to the Lord and the fire died down. 3 So that place was called Taberah, because fire from the Lord had burned among them.

NOTE: I wonder what the hardships were.  They had food, shelter, clothing, and security.  They were no longer slaves serving harsh Egyptian taskmasters, and yet they complain of hardships.  I wonder if the real story is that everyone complains of their lot in life--we are never satisfied--the grass is always greener somewhere else.  The answer to a complaining spirit is a "thankfulness."  Counting your blessings may be an old adage but it has a lot of wisdom.  Father, thank you for my home, my family, the food, my job, my work office, my hobbies, my ministry, my areas of service, my opportunities to impact others, and so much more that you have given to me that I do not deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment