Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

QT 14 May 13, We are under attack!


John 17:13-19 (NIV) "I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them. 14 I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world. 15 My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. 16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of it. 17 Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth. 18 As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world. 19 For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified.

NOTE: Jesus prayed this prayer in the disciple's hearing and for their benefit. I'm sure it was comforting to hear Jesus speak of them to his father. Also, to know that "you will see me soon" (last chapter) did not mean they were also going to die since he prayed that they would not be taken out of the world. But he clearly identifies them with himself to the point that he says that they also are not of the world. It is easy to see how Jesus is not of the world since he is "half" man (by Mary), and "half" God (by the Holy Spirit) -- (theologically, we say he is perfectly (I like better than fully) man and fully God). But the disciples are "all of this world." Apparently not, Jesus says they are not of this world. So, identification with Jesus separates us from this world (since they had not received the Spirit yet). They are different by being around Jesus and they no longer identify with the world but with Jesus. That doesn't mean that they need to leave the world (as Jesus prays). They are to be a witness for Jesus in the world and their greatest need is protection from the evil one. He is out to destroy them. Jesus' other prayer comes to mind on this point, "… lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil." I don't know if I think about this enough. The enemy is attacking me. It might be subtle but there is an attack ongoing. If it was obvious, it wouldn't be as successful. I need to remember this for myself and others, and pray for mine and their protection.

No comments:

Post a Comment