Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

QT 7 May 13, Have faith, God really does know what is best


John 16:5-11 (NIV) "Now I am going to him who sent me, yet none of you asks me, 'Where are you going?' 6 Because I have said these things, you are filled with grief. 7 But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. 8 When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment: 9 in regard to sin, because men do not believe in me; 10 in regard to righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; 11 and in regard to judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.

NOTE: Jesus' comment is a little hard to understand. Both Peter and Thomas had asked similar questions, and maybe Jesus expected a more fuller discussion. But I think his point is that their grief had overtaken their rationality. They were so focused on Jesus' leaving that they weren't thinking. Jesus tries to help them understand that his leaving is a good thing. Most people, in times of grief, do not recognize the good that can come out of a situation -- and rightly so. But faith tells us that God is working good for us in every situation that life presents. This of course is a special situation: Jesus' death, resurrection, and the coming of the Holy Spirit. Still, the principle remains the same: God promises to bring good out of every situation. Now "good" can be subjective (at least to us, not to God). No one considers discipline a good thing in the midst of the discipline. But time shows us the value. The key is that God knows my situation and is at work for my best!

No comments:

Post a Comment