Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

QT 15 May 13, Unity seems lost today, but for the individual there are things we can do


John 17:20-23 (NIV) "My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: 23 I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

NOTE: It is hard to understand what Jesus meant by unity. On one hand, there is a certain unity when I meet another person who believes in Jesus Christ as their savior. We do share a certain bond and attachment because of our savior. I can rejoice with that person and communicate to a certain degree which I cannot with others. On the other hand, there is multiplication of beliefs, denominations, and churches today. Some of the differences are in trivial matters but some are not. Some of the differences are in serious biblical issues, like universality, the application of the law to the Christian, and whether Christians should have to suffer in health. It actually is difficult to share deeply with these believers because their answers are so different. Additionally, their beliefs seem (to me) at odds with scripture. Most of the time, I don't really debate people. It doesn't seem helpful. And yet, Paul and the other apostles were very concerned about doctrinal deviations. Jesus seems very concerned about unity. How can unity exist with so much doctrinal deviation? And I don't mean worship styles, because I can have great fellowship with other believers when our differences are in style of worship. It is when our understanding of truth differs significantly that unity becomes very difficult.

One application, which doesn't solve the larger problem but does help at the individual level, is the need for individuals to be involved in a local church. If a church body is not important, then it is impossible to have any type of unity. The person is a lone ranger with no affiliation or support of the local body. That person is an ear hopping along the street while the local body lives on with an ear on only one side of the body. We have a role in the body and we need to address and embrace that role.

No comments:

Post a Comment