Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

QT 15 Apr 15, Ps 22:1, The despair of God for our souls

Ps 22:1 (ESV)
My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning?


NOTE: These were Jesus' words as he hung on the cross, when he felt the pain of a whole world of sins, and where for the first time in eternity, the father turned his face from the son. I like Spurgeon's comment on this verse. Many of us will experience the sense of God's turning his back on us, at least the feeling of it. But the reality of our deep and dark experience is that God never forsakes us. He never turns his back on his children. And so, as dark as our experience might be, it can never compare to what Jesus endured upon the cross for us. The depth of his despair and the actual, real separation from the heavenly Father is a blackness we can never imagine. And he did it because of his great love for us, the depth of which we will never understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment