Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

QT 28 Apr 15, Heb 13:1-3, Pity parties rarely provide the comfort we need

Heb 13:1-3 (ESV) Let brotherly love continue. 2  Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares. 3  Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body.

NOTE: I think part of the problem with suffering is that many people develop an inward focus--it is a variation of a pity party--things are hard, therefore everyone should understand why I am focusing on self. While the argument seems to have merit, from a spiritual point of view it is the opposite tactic to good spiritual health. Remembering others and those who have so much less helps us to see how much more we do have. It changes our focus from bitterness to thankfulness. We can't give up on the basics just because of our circumstances. We don't get excuses to ignore our faith, our family, friends, or our relationship with God. Because those are the things which will pull us out of the pit. Feeling sorry for myself will never change my circumstances, but getting the focus off of myself can change my perception of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment